Exploring the Limits of Transfer Learning with a Unified Text-to-Text...

Since the debut of BERT, lots of efforts have been made to revise the methods of pre-training. Among them, this paper might be the most extensive and comprehensive one. The authors from Google spent lots of dollars to experiment many pre-training options then contributed their empirical findings in this paper, which is definitely worth reading if you want to pre-train a transformer from scratch.

Exploration

• Architectures
    • Encoder-decoder with Denoising objective performed the best
  • Unsupervised Objectives
    • BERT-style wins
      • Corruption rate 15%
      • Corrupts spans with average length of 3
  • Pre-training Data set
    • Experiments are done by training 2^{35} tokens so some corpus might not be trained many times.
    • Domain
      • 17GB High rates website text performs comparably well with or even better than the 745G C4.
      • 20GB Wikipedia + Toronto Books Corpus ranks the top on SQuAD and SGLUE.
    • Data set size
      • By not repeating but training the same number of steps, the full dataset set ultimately wins
  • Training Strategy
    • Adapter layers perform the worst
    • Gradual unfreezing can hardly yield comparable results to fine-tuning
    • multi- task learning
      • multi-task training underperforms pre-training followed by fine-tuning on most tasks
      • Multi-task pre-training + fine-tuning improves some MT tasks
  • Scaling
    • Increasing model size and training steps together works the best
    • Increasing batch size does not improve the most

Summary

T5 applies the following settings:

• Objective
    • use a mean span length of 3 and corrupt 15% of the original sequence
  • Longer training
    • We therefore pre-train our models for 1 million steps on a batch size of 211 sequences of length 512, corresponding to a total of about 1 trillion pre-training tokens
    • repetition could be harmful, we opted instead to continue using the C4 data set.
  • Model sizes
    • 11B for the largest model (65,536 hidden size with 128-headed attention)
  • Multi-task pre-training
    • pre-training on a multi-task mixture of unsupervised and supervised tasks before fine-tuning worked as well as pre-training on the unsupervised task alone
    • It also has the practical benefit of being able to monitor “downstream” performance for the entire duration of training, rather than just during fine-tuning.
  • Beam search
    • For tasks with long output sequences, we found improved performance from using beam search
Rating
  • 5: Transformative: This paper is likely to change our field. It should be considered for a best paper award.
  • 4.5: Exciting: It changed my thinking on this topic. I would fight for it to be accepted.
  • 4: Strong: I learned a lot from it. I would like to see it accepted.
  • 3.5: Leaning positive: It can be accepted more or less in its current form. However, the work it describes is not particularly exciting and/or inspiring, so it will not be a big loss if people don’t see it in this conference.
  • 3: Ambivalent: It has merits (e.g., it reports state-of-the-art results, the idea is nice), but there are key weaknesses (e.g., I didn’t learn much from it, evaluation is not convincing, it describes incremental work). I believe it can significantly benefit from another round of revision, but I won’t object to accepting it if my co-reviewers are willing to champion it.
  • 2.5: Leaning negative: I am leaning towards rejection, but I can be persuaded if my co-reviewers think otherwise.
  • 2: Mediocre: I would rather not see it in the conference.
  • 1.5: Weak: I am pretty confident that it should be rejected.
  • 1: Poor: I would fight to have it rejected.

0 投票者